Friday, September 5, 2008

RED


A year or so ago, my nephew Jack, was obsessed with the color Red. Now, I will have to ask Kelsi how far the obsession went, but I know that all he wanted to wear was the color red. At the time, Chad and I thought that it was funny and cute and well....a bit odd. Fast forward a year or so, and now I have my own child with a Red obsession. CR Loves red. He likes red underpants, red pants, red shirts....you get the idea. Now, I can still easily persuade him to wear something non-red if it has something cool on it...like a soccer ball, frog, guitar, etc. BUT, he still really likes wearing red. The only thing he likes more than red is...whatever MJ has on! He always wants to wear what MJ has on...so I buy a lot of matching clothes. This idea of caring about what he wears thing is very new concept to me because MJ never has and never does care about what he wears. He is verrryyy laid back when it comes to clothes, he could care less what it is or even if he has clothes on.

Last night when I was putting CR to bed, I told him it was going to be chilly tomorrow morning. He said "I wear my red coat tomorrow, ok?" Um....he doesn't have a red coat. I guess I know what color coat I need to buy for the winter. If anyone sees red coats anywhere, please advise!

Now, I think that this would be a good Master's Thesis for someone.... but, I have a few theories. Red. The good, common superheros wear red...spiderman, superman, etc. Happy. Red is a happy color. Bright. Maybe there is something to do with the color hues they can see at a young age. Oddness. Maybe CR is just a little silly!

2 comments:

TWINTALES said...

Well he still wears 'all red' at least twice a week - in fact, wore red the first and second day of school. And 'all red' means that his shorts/pants and his shirt must be red. Red socks and underwear is desired but not necessary.
On days that red is not an option, he usually picks another solid color combination like all blue or all brown. For some reason he thinks matching involves two items of exactly the same color not complementary colors. But he thinks nothing of pairing plaid and stripes. The other clothing issue we have is that he doesn't like his pants to be too long so if his pants touch the top of his shoes (the way they're supposed to) he thinks they're too long and absolutely refuses to wear them.
To answer your question: the red obsession is over - it's still his preference but it doesn't wreck him if it's not an option. I just asked him why he loves wearing red so much. He doesn't really know.

US said...

So funny. I wonder if CR will get the pant thing someday too! We were at brunch today and CR would only use the red crayon to color with. When we had frozen pops this afternoon, he choose...the red one. Red, red, red.